WADHI Founder/CEO Mme. Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia Elected as Nigeria’s UN CEDAW Representative
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS- PRESS STATEMENT ON THE ELECTION OF ESTHER EGHOBAMIEN-MSHELIA AS NIGERIA’S REPRESENTATIVE ON THE CONVENTION ON THE ELIMINATION OF ALL FORMS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN (CEDAW) COMMITTEE
- Today marks another giant stride in our mission for positive visibility at the global level. On a happy note, I want to announce the victory of the Nigerian Candidate to the UN CEDAW Committee, Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia during the election of new members at the twenty-second Meeting of States parties to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), which took place at United Nations Headquarters in New York on 23 June 2022.
- Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia is one of the twelve (12) members elected by States parties of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women to replace those whose terms of office are due to expire on 31 December 2022. The terms of members elected will commence on 1 January 2023 and expire four years later on 31 December 2026.
- This is indeed one of the legacy of this administration in supporting Nigerian Women to occupy visible leadership positions at the International space.
- Therefore my profound gratitude to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR for his unwavering support to the entire process. This mandate would not have been achieved without the unflinching support of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema, the Minister of State Foreign Affairs, Amb Zubairu Dada and their dynamic Team both at Home and in the Mission in New York for the high level networking in delivering on this vision. The role played by the Honourable Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Otunba Niyi Adebayo, the Honourable Minister of State, Industry, Trade and Investment, H.E. Hajiya Mariam Katagum and their Team in mounting a benefiting Made in Nigeria Exhibition is commendable. I want to single out for mention the untiring support of H.E. Excellency, the Nigerian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Prof. Tijjani Bande and his Team, who left no stone unturned to ensure that the Nation’s colours stood out throughout the entire process.
- I must also thank and congratulate the immediate past Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, Engr. Olufunso Adebiyi, FNSE and the Management and Staff of the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs for the hard work put in to ensure the victory of our Candidate. Not forgetting to mention the role of the Managing Director, Bank of Industry, Mr. Olukayode Pitan and the Director-General of Abuja Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture Dr. Victoria Akai for the great support in the realization of this mandate. My sincere appreciation to all the Countries who believed in the Nigerian candidature and so voted.
- The exception role of UN Women and the Civil Societies in this regard is unprecedented. Gratitude to Bishop Tina Bawa of the Ministerial Technical Committee on Private Sector Initiatives, Dr. Abiola Akiyode-Afolabi of WARD-C, Toun Sonaiya of Women Radio and several others too numerous to mention.
- I have no doubt that Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia will do us proud in the journey ahead. We must therefore rise above our differences to ensure that succeeds in flying the Nigeria colours high.
- Congratulations to Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia! Congratulations to Nigerian Women!
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Congratulations to Africa!
Dame Pauline K. Tallen, OFR, KSG
Federal Ministry of Women Affairs
23 June 2022.